Every time while you are watching tv or scrolling your mobile screen, you might have seen the advertisement for perfume. It seems appealing, and you might have convinced through the ad. But which one should you buy?
There are different types of perfume and fragrance found in the cosmetic industry. Many companies manufacture various ranges of perfume throughout the whole world.
It is not a new thing; instead, it is being used from ancient times. But in the old time, it was so expensive and unique that it was only made for the royal families. However, all families from the middle class to high-class use it.
So let’s know about different types of perfume & fragrance and how they are made of.
What is perfume?
Perfume is an invisible part of your dress up that nobody can see but feel. It is a liquid substance that has a sweet, soft, or strong smell to be used in the human body. It contains alcohol, essential oils, and aroma.
Perfume has become part and parcel of our life, and people use it daily. Whenever we step out, it is the thing that we rarely forget to wear. Wearing this gives us confidence. There are also different types of perfumes found as follows.
Types of perfume
Perfumes are of five types. These includes:
- Parfum: This is also known as Extrait de parfum. This type of perfume has the maximum fragrance concentration. Its concentration is between 15 percent to 40 percent, whereas other perfumes’ concentration lies between 20 percent to 30 percent. So it lasts for the longest time, which is around 6 to 8 hours. Moreover, its price is also very high due to the high concentration.
- Eau de Perfume: Eau de Perfume has the next highest concentration of fragrance after perfume. Its fragrance concentration is between 15 percent to 20 percent. Due to its slightly low concentration, it stays for 4 to 5 hours. So it is less expensive than parfum. It is best for nightwear.
- Eau de Toilette: Eau de Toilette has a smell concentration from 5 percent to 15 percent. This lasts for 2 to 3 hours, and it is comparatively cheaper than the other two mentioned above. It is best for daywear.
- Eau de Cologne: Eau de Cologne has a low fragrance concentration of about 2 to 4 percent but a high concentration of alcohol. So it lasts for at least 2 hours, and it is cheaper than the other type of perfumes. It comes both in a trial pack and a big bottle.
- Fraiche: It is similar to Eau de Cologne. So it also lasts for at least two hours. This has the lowest concentration of all, which is 1 percent to 3 percent. It is almost watery and does not contain high alcohol.
What is fragrance?
The fragrance is a pleasant smell that comes from perfume or cologne. The scent can be sweet, romantic, strong, calm, and so on. The perfume or cologne company has to buy fragrance to add it to their product to make it more attractive to the customers.
The customers usually buy perfume or cologne according to their choice of fragrance. There are various types of aroma found in the cosmetic industry.
Types of fragrance
There are different types of fragrances based on flavors. Some are as follows:
- Floral: the scent of flowers like jasmine, violet, lily, rose, lavender, and so on. Females mainly use this flavor.
- Fruity: the fragrance of fruits like berries, grapes, or peaches. Both men and women like this kind of smell.
- Oriental: it is also known as “amber” fragrance. It is unique because it is composed of musk, spices, and precious woods. So this category consists of rich, glamorous aroma. It generally has a vibe of cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, and pepper.
- Woody: woods like sandalwood, rosewood, cedar, agarwood, pine, etc. are used to make woody perfumes. Most men love this kind of earthy smell.
- Citrus: This fragrance is made from fruits rich with citric acids such as orange, lemon, and bergamot. This smell gives a fresh and light feeling.
Types of perfume notes:
There are three types of perfume notes in the case of all perfumes. They are as follows:
The top note is the primary smell that hits your nose after the application. It is relatively lighter. So it fades quickly and lasts at least 2 hours. Top notes are floral, fruity, citrus, and woody.
Its smell comes after the top note. This is also known as medium notes, heart notes, or body of a perfume. After the evaporation of the top notes, the fragrance of it comes. It takes 30 minutes to develop the smell after the primary application. Its durability is much more than the top notes, which is approximately 3 to 5 hours. Medium notes are often heavy floral scents.
This is the most substantial and most affluent part of the perfume. Its smell comes after the perfume stays on your body for a long time. It takes 1 hour to develop the scent after the initial application. So its durability is the highest of them all that is around 3 to 5 hours. The base notes are musk, sandalwood, vanilla, leather, smoke, and tobacco.
Unique ingredients added to the perfume to make it long-lasting
“Every perfume will be long-lasting” this myth is wrong. How long a scent will last on your skin depends on the ingredients used in the perfume. Here are some unique elements which help to last perfume longer:
Jasmin is a sweet-smelling white flower that is used in the female perfumes. It is one of the most exclusive extracts used in the perfume industry. It is also very much expensive because of the hard work that needs to be given behind it. From almost 8000 Jasmin flowers, only 1 milliliter of scent can be made.
It is a kind of oil that is made from agarwood. Agarwood is one of the most expensive woods in the world. In the Middle East, it is called black gold.
It is used as a base note in the male perfume, which has a woody smell. It combines very well with floral and citrus notes.
The oil extract from this wood has a calming and soothing effect. It has a sweet floral smell. So it is better to use it during a romantic event. Both males and females can wear this fragrance.
Lavender oil has a sweet and fresh s floral smell. However, the aroma of this oil changes according to the origin of the soil. For example- the Dutch variety has a strong odor and on the hand French version has a sweet floral fragrance. It is mostly used in the colognes and perfumes of men.
It is not made of leather. It is made from birch tar, juniper, or synthetic aldehydes. As a result, it has a fresh and powerful smell that lasts long. This is also very much expensive.
The best perfumes for male and female 2020:
There are different types of perfumes for both males and females. But a female can wear male perfume without any hesitation, but a male cannot. So, in that case, it is better to use unisex fragrances. Here are some perfumes best for men and women:
- La Vie Est Belle by Lancome- for women
- Chance Eau Tendre Eau de Toilette by Chanel-for women
- Acqua Di Gio Profumo by Armani Beauty-for men
- Sauvage Parfum by Dior-for men
- Bleu De Chanel Eau de Parfum by Chanel-for men
- Coco Mademoiselle Eau de Parfum by Chanel-for women
All these perfumes will cost over $55.
Why is perfume application important?
Perfume application is essential to fade away bad odor. If a nasty smell comes from us while we are in public places, offices, and programs, then it will make our self-esteem low. We will feel uncomfortable to go close to the people near us. On the other hand, those people will not come close to us. It is also a matter of embarrassment if something like this happens.
How to choose a perfume?
Perfume should be chosen based on how strong you want your fragrance to be. So you will have to focus on the level of concentration of oils and alcohol at the time of shopping. The more the level of concentration of oil, the intense the fragrance.
On the other hand, the less the level of concentration of oil, the weaker the odor. It is always the best to choose strong perfumes as it will make you more confident, smart, and attractive. As a result, you will have high self-esteem.
How to wear perfume properly?
Applying perfume is also an art. Not everybody can wear perfume properly. Here are some steps to be followed to wear perfume:
- You will have to apply it in clean and dry skin. So it is better to use it after a bath.
- It would be best if you focused on the points that are visible after dress up, for example- neck and inner wrist.
- Spray 2 to 3 pumps—1 on both your inner wrist and 1 on your neck.
- Do not rub the perfume instead, spray, and tap.
History of perfume
The word perfume came from the Latin word “Perfumare.” Manufacturing perfume was started in Egypt, China, and Mesopotamia. Afterward, it was developed by the Romans and the Arabs.
The world’s first perfume maker was a woman from Mesopotamia. She used the distillation process, the method most frequently used today, to make perfume from flowers and essential oils. After that, people also started using herbs and spices.
An Arab chemist then wrote a book on perfume that had more than 100 fragrant oil recipes and 107 perfume-making methods and equipment.
A Persian chemist discovered the procedure of extracting oils from flowers. He used rose for his first experiment.
The use of alcohol in perfume came from the Hungarians. They mixed essential oils with an alcohol solution. This method made perfume to stay long on the body.
What do perfume and fragrance symbolize?
Perfume and fragrance symbolize your personality, standard, and taste of choice. A person can also be judged by his or her choice of scent. So it is better to choose perfume very wisely.
You can wear perfume every day and can reapply if necessary. It will make you confident and attractive. Moreover, you can gift perfumes to your loved ones.
Conclusion: Different Types of Perfume & Fragrance
So from the above article, you have known everything about different types of perfume & fragrance. Now you can easily buy a perfume that matches your personality. If you are a beginner or still confuse about the fragrances, then do some research before buying or try some trial pack to find your desired one. So grab the finest one for you.
Additionally, you should always store your perfume in a dark place so that sunlight cannot harm it.